There’s still time to take Bikeside’s bike friendliness survey!
There’s still time to take Bikeside’s bike friendliness survey, and join the 478 people who have answered our core questions, including “do you think LA is bike friendly?” Take it here, at Survey Monkey! The survey will remain open until Sunday at midnight.
For those of you who have taken it already – THANK YOU! – and please consider passing the survey around to your friends, one more time, via Twitter, Facebook, email, or carrier pigeon. (If you already took the survey, clicking those links will pop you back to our original post announcing our survey.)
In the meantime, the preliminary results are in, and by a margin of 2 to 1, cyclists and non-cyclists say Los Angeles is not bike friendly. Of 522 respondents thus far, 478 responded to the main question: “Do you think Los Angeles is Bike Friendly?” 69.0 % responded “No”, leaving 31.0 % responding “Yes”:
Our opening question helps us cut up responses according to whether the responses are coming from frequent cyclists, or non-cyclists. The cool part of this is that we can take a look at whether people who ride in LA are more or less inclined to think LA is bike friendly. In other words, do drivers and pedestrians perceive LA to be more or less bike friendly than cyclists?
Of frequent cyclists, 63.7 % think LA is not bike friendly, and the other 36.3 % think LA is bike friendly. Compare that all other respondents, who either identified as LA riders who do not ride frequently, LA residents who do not ride at all, or riders who do not live in LA. Only 21.7 % of these respondents think that LA is bike friendly, far less than the frequent riders. Two charts, showing bike friendliness according to frequent riders and bike friendliness according to all other respondents:
So why do die-hard LA riders think LA is more bike friendly than everyone else? It’s a question to think on! I’ll bet you all can come up with some good explanations in the comments . . .